Polished concrete floors have become popular flooring choices for both residential and commercial properties among most homeowners and businesses. These flooring options offer a unique modern look, durability, versatility and aesthetic appealing visual experience. But, before you start planning your new flooring, it’s important to know how to evaluate the cost of polished concrete per square metre. It will help you budget accordingly and avoid any surprises or inconveniences later.
However, estimating the cost can be overwhelming, especially for those who are unfamiliar with the entire process. The cost of polished concrete flooring depends on various factors like the size of the area, concrete type, polishing level, labour cost, etc. Therefore it’s essential to keep these key factors in mind while planning your budget. It will also help you to stay within budget.
In this blog, we will explore the factors that affect the cost of polished concrete floors. Also, we will provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to estimate the cost per square metre. At last we will enlist some valuable tips on how to save money on your installation of the polished concrete floor project.
Factors That Affects The Cost Of Polished Concrete Flooring Project
Here are the key factors that affect your budget while planning a polished concrete flooring project.
1. Size Of The Area
The size of the area that you want to cover with the concrete is the main factor to consider while estimating the budget. It’s because, the larger the size, the more concrete will be required to cover the area, which can increase your overall budget.
2. Type Of The Concrete
The type of concrete that you choose can drastically affect your cost estimation. For example, high-performance concrete is more expensive than standard concrete due to its additional benefits, unique properties and decorative finishing.
3. Level Of Polishing
The level of polishing that you want for your concrete floor finishing can also affect your budget. Higher level of polishing will demand time and labour, which will automatically increase your budget.
4. Labour Cost
The cost of labour can vary depending on the type of contractors you choose and the years of experience they acquire.
5. Additional Expenses
Along with area size, type, level and labour cost, some other expenses can also increase your cost. These additional expenses are removing the existing floor, surface preparation, levelling the concrete flooring, and installing a moisture barrier. So make sure to consider these factors before starting your project.
As contractors in different areas charge differently, the location of your commercial or residential setting can also affect the budget. Plus, if your project requires special equipment and materials that are not readily available in your area, then you have to transport them. These additional transportation costs can also increase your budget.
Guide To Estimate The Cost Of Polished Concrete Per Square Metre
Here is a step-by-step guide to estimate the cost of polished concrete floor per square metre.
Step1: Determine The Size Of The Area
Firstly, measure the length and width of the area that you want to cover with the polished concrete floor. Secondly, multiply the figures of length and breadth to get the total square meterage.
Step2: Choose The Type Of Concrete
Depending on the cost different types of concrete options are available for polished floor needs.
- High-Performance Concrete-This is a little bit costly as compared to the other types of concrete. But, it offers high strength, durability and can endure heavy traffic.
- Decorative Concrete– They are cheaper than high-performance concrete but costlier than standard ones. These concrete options come in various colours, designs, patterns, and textures, which allow you to customise your floor look as per your choice.
- Standard Concrete– It is the most affordable concrete option but offers less strength and designs as compared to the other two types of concrete.
But, before choosing any type, consider the level of traffic that your floor has to undergo.
Step3: Decide The Level Of Polishing
The level of polishing that you want also can affect your budget estimation. There are mainly four levels of polishing.
- Level 1 (Flat)– It is a less polished option. This means when you look down at the floor, you will see a blurry or hazy reflection. It is best for industrial use.
- Level 2 (Satin)– It has semi-polished floors, which provides a slightly clear reflection as compared to the level 1 polishing. It is a perfect option for retail or commercial stores.
- Level 3 (Polish)– It is a highly polished floor. This means when you look down at the floor, you can see a clear reflection of yourself. It is best for showrooms and office rooms.
- Level 4 (Highly Polish)– It is the highest level of polishing. If you look down at this floor, you will be able to see a completely clear reflection. It is an ideal choice for high-end commercial space and residential properties.
The higher level of polishing, the higher the cost of polished concrete per square metre will be.
Step4: Consider Labour Cost
Labour costs will obtain the major portion of your total cost. The cost of labour also depends on the complexity of the job, the experience of the contractor and the location of your property. Besides, make sure to ask for cost quotes from multiple contractors. It will help you to compare all prices and hire the best one at the lowest rates.
Step5: Additional Expenses
In addition to installing polished concrete floors, there are many other costs associated with the flooring project.
- Removing of existing floor
- Surface Preparation
- Installation of moisture barriers
Considering these factors in advance will prevent you from later surprises going out of the budget.
Tips For Saving Money For Your Polished Concrete Floor Project
Here are some useful tips to follow.
- In case you are on a tight budget, choose the lower level of polishing.
- Choose the standard concrete option rather than choosing the decorative or high-performance.
- Compare prices from multiple contractors to get fair prices and quality services.
Considering the factors and following the step-by-step guide explained above will help you to evaluate the cost of polished concrete per square metre. Plus, the above provided money-saving tips will also help you to plan and execute your flooring project successfully while staying within budget.